If you have lost a loved one in a fatal bicycle accident, Greenville wrongful death lawyer Robert “Bobby” Jones wants to assist you. While you are grieving your loved one, Bobby Jones Law can help you take care of the legal aspects, seeking justice, accountability, and financial compensation for what has occurred. Contact us today to talk about your case.
Legal Help for a Fatal Bicycle Accident
The laws that protect people injured in car accidents also apply to bicyclists. Drivers have a duty of care and caution for the safety of others, including bicyclists. If negligence results in an injury, the responsible driver may be legally at fault. When a person is fatally injured in a bicycle accident, survivors may bring a claim for financial compensation.
Bicycle vs. Car Responsibilities on the Road
Both motor vehicle drivers and bicyclists must exercise care and caution.
Motor vehicle operators must:
- Exercise due care and caution, always
- Keep a safe operating distance from a bicyclist
- Follow traffic laws and the rules of the road
- Yield to bicyclists when they have the right of way
- Respect the rights of bicyclists on the road, harassing or throwing objects is not allowed
- Yield to a bicyclist in the bicycle lane before entering or crossing the lane
- Ride no more than two abreast unless in a place exclusively for bicycles
- Be able to keep at least one hand on the bicycle
- Ride independently without attaching themselves to a vehicle
- Have a working brake on their bicycle
- Use hand signals to indicate turns
- Use lights and reflectors when riding at night
(See S.C. Code Title 56 – Motor Vehicles, Chapter 5 – Uniform Act Regulating Traffic on Highways).
Causes of Bicycle Fatalities in Greenville, SC
There are highways, county roads, and local streets all throughout Greenville County. There are many popular places to bike, including the Prisma Health Swamp Rabbit Trail and other trails near downtown Greenville. These are all places where bicycle accidents may occur.
Here are some causes of bicycle fatalities in Greenville, SC
- Drivers not leaving enough distance between themselves and the bicyclist
- Turning in front of a bicyclist crossing the road
- Not leaving enough distance when a bicyclist is in a crosswalk
- Backing up without looking for bicyclists
- Driving too fast when there are bicyclists in the area
- Distracted driving, texting while driving, driving under the influence of drugs
Our team can help you evaluate the circumstances and the cause of the crash.
Compensation for Families Following a Fatal Bicycle Accident
When a victim would have had a personal injury claim if they had lived, the party responsible for neglect is still liable in an action for damages. Beneficiaries are surviving family members, including the spouse and children. Parents or the victim’s heirs may qualify to bring a claim, too.
The legal standards are the same for a fatality as they are for other bicycle accident claims. Legal fault may be based on negligence or another wrongful act.
Damages should reflect the harm that the victims have endured because of the loss of their family member. Losing a family member is a great personal and financial loss. Victims may claim medical bills for the person following the accident, burial expenses, and loss of monetary support. They may receive payments that acknowledge the personal loss, including companionship, love, and guidance provided by the victim and pain and suffering.
In most wrongful death claims, there is a three-year time limit to bring a claim. If the defendant is a unit of government, the time limit is shortened to two years.
Contact an Experienced Lawyer for Fatal Bicycle Accidents
Bobby Jones Law can help if you have lost a loved one because of a fatal bicycle accident. We provide professional, experienced, and compassionate legal representation. You can rely on us to investigate the situation, preserve the evidence, and pursue your legal rights.
It is our goal to honor your loved one through our legal representation. We are a full-service law firm for Greenville fatal bicycle accidents. Contact us to talk about your situation and how we can help.