Sexual abuse is not your fault. We’re here to help you get justice.
When you need a sexual abuse lawyer in Greenville, SC, Bobby Jones Law is here to help. Our lawyers represent sexual abuse and assault victims in claiming financial compensation for their injuries and harms.
What you have been through is devastating and life-altering. It is our goal to hold the offender responsible – along with any organizations that enabled them – to the fullest extent of the law.
Sexual assault lawyer Robert “Bobby” Jones is an advocate for members of our community. When you need aggressive, experienced legal counsel, contact us today to talk about your case.
What is sexual abuse?
Sexual abuse is non-consensual sexual contact. It may be non-consensual because the person does not agree to it. In addition, it may be non-consensual because the person does not have the ability to consent.
Sexual abuse does not require restraint or physical force.
Who can a sexual abuse claim be brought against?
The assailant can be held responsible for sexual abuse. Additionally, others may be held responsible for enabling the abuser. Parties who may be named in a sexual abuse claim include:
- School administrators at all levels, including elementary, middle, and high school
- Coaches, teachers, and tutors
- Colleges and universities
- Religious organizations, churches, clergy
- Non-profit organizations and officials, including sports leagues
- Doctors, nurses
- Psychologists, counselors, and therapists
- Nursing home administrators and care providers, retirement facilities
- Building owners and operators
- Hotels and motels
Too often, organizations allow abuse to continue. They don’t take reports seriously, fail to investigate, or simply don’t respond appropriately. When they choose to protect offenders instead of victims, these organizations may be making themselves legally liable for enabling abuse.
As part of our representation, we look at what organizations may be legally responsible for what happened. We carefully build the evidence to show their involvement.
What damages can a sexual abuse victim claim?
Sexual abuse devastates its victims. The victim may claim compensation that reflects the severity of the harm that they have endured.
Damages may include:
- The cost of medical care
- Psychological care and trauma counseling, mental health treatment
- Time away from work to address injuries, the inability to work
- Pain and suffering, emotional anguish
- Damage to reputation
- Memories of living with the trauma
- Punitive damages (in some circumstances)
The compensation that a victim receives should reflect the physical and emotional scars.
How do you prove a sexual abuse or assault claim?
Proving a sexual abuse or assault claim isn’t always an easy task. Part of the problem is that organizations often go to great lengths to cover up abuse. Ways our lawyers work to prove abuse or assault include:
- Witness statements, including your own statements
- Disciplinary actions or transfers for an employee in response to complaints
- Mental health treatments and records
- Records that the offender and victim were in close proximity
- Records that the abuse was reported
- Attempts the victim made to avoid the offender like changing classes or dropping out of a program
- Any medical records or DNA samples that may exist
- Social media and cell phone records
- Admissions of the offender or the organization they worked for
You don’t have to have forensic evidence like DNA. Most sexual abuse cases don’t have that kind of evidence. The specific details of the assault may be critical as well as circumstantial evidence.
Our lawyers know how to demand records when an organization is uncooperative. Carefully building the case enables us to fight for your rights and hold wrongdoers accountable for their actions.
Child sexual abuse lawyers
The Bobby Jones Law firm handles claims involving child sexual abuse. When adults fail to protect children, victims suffer extreme trauma.
Successfully bringing a child sexual abuse claim means diligently gathering evidence of what happened. In addition, particular attention must be paid to the way that the victim is damaged and how their life is impacted. Our lawyers for child sexual abuse claims know how to handle the technical legal requirements while working to maximize compensation and ease the burden for the victim and their family.
A minor victim may have an extended period to file their claim. They may have six years after they turn 21 or three years from recognition of injury to file a lawsuit. Contact our lawyers to learn more.
Can I bring a sexual abuse or assault claim if there are criminal charges?
You may bring a civil claim for sexual abuse or assault whether or not there are criminal charges. There are important differences between the two types of cases. A civil claim is for the victim to receive monetary compensation. The burden of proof is lower, and the victim can have the lawyer of their choice represent them.
Our lawyers can help you understand the differences between the types of cases and what’s involved in a civil claim.
Greenville, SC Sexual Abuse and Assault Lawyers Near Me
The Bobby Jones Law firm focuses on helping individuals. Robert “Bobby” Jones practices exclusively in areas of law that matter to victims, including sexual abuse and assault claims. He is an aggressive advocate for victims.
Law firm highlights include:
- More than $40 million recovered for clients
- Recovery of multi-million dollar settlements for victims
- Membership in the American Bar Association, the Greenville County Bar Association, and the South Carolina Association for Justice
- Admission to practice in all South Carolina state and federal courts, including the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina
- Awards and honors including Super Lawyer’s “Rising Star” and “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” (National Trial Lawyers)
- Featured in the Greenville News, Post and Courier, and other media outlets
It’s our goal to take even the most complicated cases and succeed. We know that it is traumatizing and devastating to be the victim of sexual abuse and assault. We’re here to be advocates for you.
Taking New Cases – Free Consultation
We want you to have answers and then action. Begin with a free consultation with no obligation.See how we can help you receive justice and fair compensation for sexual assault or abuse. Contact our lawyers today.