Instances of medical malpractice involving a misdiagnosed medical condition are far too common. Where a provider fails to properly diagnose a patient, his or her condition can worsen and result in severe illness or even death. One of the main reasons why undiagnosed and misdiagnosed medical conditions are so common is that providers fail to perform the proper medical test to determine the cause of the patient’s symptoms.
When patients have received inadequate medical treatment, they are often unaware that they have important rights under South Carolina law. Bobby Jones is a Greenville, SC medical malpractice lawyer that has experience representing victims of undiagnosed or misdiagnosed conditions attributable to a failure to perform proper medical testing.
Common Examples of Failures to Perform Necessary Medical Tests
There are many examples of medical providers in both office and hospital settings failing to perform required medical tests to diagnose and adequately treat a patient’s condition. Some common examples include:
- Failing to test for an imminent heart attack such as through the use of an EKG or stress test. Left untreated the patient suffers an otherwise preventable heart attack.
- Failing to test for a stroke or aneurism. Again, left untreated the patient suffers an otherwise preventable serious injury such as paralysis or even death.
- Failing to test for serious infections such as tetanus or strep. Without a regimen of antibiotic medications, the patient’s condition worsens.
- Failing to test for and identify cancer. For example, not conducting a biopsy of a large lump on the patient’s skin that is subsequently identified as malignant.
- Failing to test for internal bleeding. The patient may have no external symptoms of significant internal bleeding but left untreated the patient’s condition can become critical.
The above list is by no means meant to be an exhaustive list. As an experienced Greenville, SC medical malpractice lawyer, Bobby Jones has represented clients in a broad range of cases involving undiagnosed and misdiagnosed medical conditions. In many of these cases, the patient’s injuries could have been prevented had the medical provider performed the proper medical tests.
Discuss Your Case with an Experienced Greenville, SC Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Patients that suffer an injury due to a misdiagnosed or undiagnosed medical condition have important rights and remedies available to them under South Carolina law. Medical professionals are required to provide patients with acceptable standards of care. When providers fail to fulfill this duty, such as by failing to perform proper medical tests, they can be held liable for the patient’s injuries.
If you have suffered a serious injury or a loved one died due to medical professional failing to properly diagnose a medical condition, Bobby Jones Law can help you obtain the compensation that you deserve. Bobby Jones is a highly experienced Greenville, SC medical malpractice lawyer and nationally recognized trial lawyer. Our firm serves clients throughout South Carolina and is conveniently located in Greenville. Please contact us today
for a FREE consultation.